If you're like me and hate the idea of slaving away over a roast dinner for two people, then please read on…
Its not that I'm lazy, I love to cook, but the idea of cooking a roast dinner for two people just used to put me right off. No way was I going to cook all that and wash up all those pots, more effort than it's worth in my eyes. Time is precious and if I was craving a roast that much I could easily go to our nearest pub for a carvery.
However, that is until my wonderful mother told me about her 1 tray roast for 2. Since I moved out, she's always giving me recipes and quick tips in the kitchen. This one is definitely my favourite and has now become a weekly thing for Myles and I.
All you need is:
- 1 large baking tray – as deep as you can find
- 2 chicken breasts (one per person)
- Green beans
- Baby potatoes
- Salt & pepper
To begin, get your baking tray out ready and follow the steps below.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Chop your carrots and parsnips and put flat side down onto the baking tray
- Put all the other veg and the chicken breasts on the same tray
- Pour gravy over the lot – making sure it covers everything and fills to the top
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add rosemary (if you wish)
Once the oven is heated, just pop in the tray for 35-40 mins and hey presto! You're done!
Everything is juicy and cooked to perfection thanks to sitting in the gravy. Literally the easiest meal I do all week. I don't have to time anything. I can just throw it in and forget about it until the forty minutes is up.
Don't forget to pour the remaining gravy on top!
It's not a fancy roast, but it's a tasty one. You could do stuffing and you could do yorkies separately if you wish. But the simplicity of this makes it a winner for me!
What do you think?