Being a lover of gardening and my typical Pisces nature, its probably no surprise that our house is full of plants!
When you decorate interior spaces with houseplants, you’re not just adding greenery to your home. They interact with your body and mind in ways that enhance your general quality of life. With plenty of different sorts to choose from, I’m sure there is one for you!
Many help to purify the air by reducing levels of harmful pollutants that we would otherwise be breathing in. Pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide, which can inflame the lining of the lung and benzene that can cause immune system deficiencies.
As well as purifying the air we breathe, the presence of indoor plants have also been shown to have many other beneficial effects, details of this research can be found all over Google!
These benefits include:
- Increased positive feelings and reduced feelings of anxiety, anger and sadness.
- Reduction of sound levels
- Reduction of stress levels
- Control of humidity to the within the optimum levels for human health
- Cooling effect
- Improved concentration levels leading to improved productivity particularly with those working with computers
- Faster recovery from mental tiredness
- Interiors feel spacious, looked after and clean
- People prefer to occupy rooms that contain plants
- Improved image – interiors are perceived as “more expensive”
Some great house plants that contain these qualities include:
- Aloe Vera (also great for medicinal purposes, using the gel within the stems to treat sunburn and great in smoothies)
- Peace lilies
- Snake plants (also known as mother in laws tongue)
- Spider plants
- Dwarf banana plant
- Golden pothos
My personal favourite is definitely the Aloe Vera. We currently have two large plants in our house and each mother plant has babies that can be split from the main plant and re-potted to create a new plant! Endless aloes!
Do you have any house plants? Which are your favourites?