Happy Pancake Day to you all!
This year marks the first time I’ve ever made pancakes!
My stepdad used to always make them for us, however now I live with Myles, I thought I better step up to the challenge. We purchased some pretty cool little pancake making utensils at the weekend, curse the middle isle in Aldi – they always have so much stuff you didn’t know you needed! Including:
Myles also went out and brought some more batter mix where you add three eggs and 500ml water. There just wasn’t enough in the little pre-made shaker tub we’d previously brought! I was thinking though, how silly is it to buy the pre-made mix, as it only consists of eggs, flour and milk and we have all that in the house! Here’s a quick little recipe for the true pancake makers out there:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower/vegetable oil or fry light spray
- A pinch of salt
- Put the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk together making sure that it is mixed thoroughly. When all of the ingredients are evenly combined, you will have a smooth, creamy mixture
- Heat the pan over a medium heat, then wipe it with oiled kitchen paper – or your very handy fry light spray!
- Ladle some batter into the pan, tilting the pan to move the mixture around for a thin and even layer, then leave to cook undisturbed for a minute or until golden underneath
- When your pancake is ready to flip, ensure that it is not stuck to the pan by sliding your nifty pancake flipper, or standard spatula, under the pancake.
- You can either quickly lift and flip it over with said spatula or have a bit of fun and flip your pancake in the air! However you do this, just make sure the pancake is lying flat against the base of the pan with no folds, then cook for another minute or so before turning out onto a warm plate. Here is a gif I made of Myles flipping our pancakes in the air:
We made two different toppings: orange and lemon juice with sugar and Nutella and strawberries. Another amazing combo you can try is golden syrup and blueberries! Yum!
I’ve had such a pants day, tonight really made up for it, yummy pancakes and the best company a girl could wish for. Myles always knows how to make me laugh! We even had a pancake flip off in the end, here’s how that ended…
Hope you’ve all had a wonderful day and are enjoying your pancakes!
What is your fave pancake topping?
Love Charlie x