Hey honey buns,
So last night I went to my first one hour Zumba class and I’ve got to say, it was crazy but I came home feeling energised and in a great mood.
For those that don’t know, Zumba is a Latin and international dance inspired fitness program that incorporates choreography to get your heart rate up with intense exercises to keep your muscles working. Our instructor did that many “woo woo”s it felt like we were at a full on party, did someone say dance off?!
The music is current, fast, upbeat and so contagious, you literally can’t help but keep moving – even when you feel like you’re gonna pass out! I didn’t realise that all that moving and grooving had so many health benefits either, even when you don’t have an ounce of rhythm! Some of those benefits include:
- Calorie and fat burning – Zumba classes provide a large calorie burn thanks to aerobic activity mixed with interval training. The average person will burn around 600 to 1,000 calories in one Zumba class.
- Improved coordination – I’m pretty sure this one comes to you over time
- Full body workout – Being both a dance class and a fitness class, it’s highly likely that every muscle will feel the burn!
- Aerobic benefits – basically strengthens your heart and increases endurance
- Anaerobic benefits – helps to maintain a good cardiovascular respiratory system
- It puts you in a good mood – I’ve honestly never left a gym class still smiling before!
- It’s social – because you’re in a group, you can laugh and chat and sweat together, cute!
I mean it’s pretty damn intense and you sweat like a PIG, but it’s so fun and I’ve never laughed so much at myself, let alone all the crazy moves we were doing. I’m pretty sure a lot of the time I was dancing to my own beat, but it sure did make that hour fly by!
At first, I was a bit self conscious and didn’t really know if I wanted to be there. Looking around at everyone else, I soon realised that they were in the same boat, doing the same crazy dances and getting just as muddled up as I was, which definitely made me relax and get into the swing of it. My inner Beverly Goldberg was actually loving life!
So if you’re into dancing, exercise or just want to have fun, I definitely recommend it! I’m so ready to go back next week and rock out a few more hip swaying salsa moves – Shakira better watch out, cos apparently these hips don’t lie! Excuse my awful sense of humour!
Have you ever tried Zumba before? What are your thoughts?
Love Charlie x