- It may feel like it’s way in the future. But you will sleep again for more than two hours at a time. Mombie stage doesn’t last as long as it feels!
- Never forget to keep spare baby clothes in your bag, the one time you do, they’ll have a massive poonami blowout and there will be nothing you can do about it. Be warned!
- If something doesn’t seem right, go with your gut and trust your mumma bear intuition! It’s almost always right and it’s a very valuable gift to have.
- Stop putting pressure on yourself! Your body has just gone through a pretty life changing situation. Take the time to just relax with your newborn, have all the baby snuggles because they don’t stay little for long. No one cares if you have dirty dishes on the side or the washing hasn’t been done, they only came to cuddle the baby anyway!
- If you ever manage to get a nice photograph of your whole family looking at the camera together, then frame the damn thing! You might not get another for a few years 😅
- Babies have some creepy lil sixth sense that tells them when their mummy is about to sit down for a hot meal. Get used to eating cold food, eating one handed and asking people to chop your food into bite size pieces. I’d love to say it changes when they start weaning, but then they start eating your food too!
- You will literally pray for bedtime to arrive, but once they go to sleep you will no longer have any idea how to function without them. It is normal to miss them enough to risk waking them when you go in to watch them sleeping.
- Let go of the mum guilt and stop letting it rule your life. It is normal to make mistakes, push it aside and learn from it. You’ll do better next time.
- The list of things you “wouldn’t dream of doing” as a parent will get shorter as time goes on and you will laugh at your pre-baby knowledge and naivety.
- If the baby doesn’t walk, don’t buy the shoes. Those itty bitty cutsie tootsie pram shoes may be the most adorable thing you’ve ever seen, but your baby will wear them once before one goes missing forever.
- Please please please get in the damn photo. No one cares what you look like without make up on, you will look back at photos and cry about how little you appear in them. When your gone, they’ll only want to see their mummy‘s face.
- Sleepy cuddles will always be the most powerful pick me up.
I’m pretty sure there’s a thousand more things I’d love to tell my pre-baby self, but these are the 12 things that stood out to me! Do you have anything you’d have to add to the list?
Thanks for reading!
Love Charlie x